Friday 13 January 2017

My 2017 Reading Challenge

Okay, so I asked around about classics to read in 2017 a while back, but I think rather than specifically classics per se I think that my reading challenge to myself this year is going to be to broaden my horizons (as much as I could read Jane Austen until the cows come home.) I want to read different stuff to what I usually do (SF, fantasy, thrillers, primarily by British or American authors.)

So, my challenge to myself is this:

Each month, read or listen to (audiobook, not adaptation) and review two books which fall outside my usual genres of preference, and/or are written by authors who are non-white, non-English, non-straight, non-male or otherwise fall outside the usual range of voices in my reading. For extra credit, add in some poetry, because I basically never read poetry.

I plan to loosely theme each month, because that's how I roll. I've got the following penciled in, but there are obviously some pretty big gaps. What would you recommend to me to fill them?

January - Magic Realism
  1. 100 Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  2. Nights at the Circus, Angela Carter
February - Gothic
  1. White is for Witching - Helen Oyeyemi
  2. We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
March - Mad People
  1. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  2. Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
April - China
  1. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Dai Sijie
  2. Wild Swans - Jung Chang
May - Australia
  1. Carpentaria - Alexis Wright
  2. That Deadman Dance - Kim Scott
June - Emancipation
  1. Beloved - Toni Morrison
  2. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
July - India
  1. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
  2.  The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
August - The Luke Cage Syllabus
  1. Little Green - Walter Mosley
  2. Crime Partners - Donald Goines
September - Africa
  1.  Dust - Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor
  2.  We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
October - 
  1.  Travel Light - Naomi Mitchison
  2.  
November - Muslim Authors
With this one, I might want to swap out one of the memoirs for something purely fictional.
  1. Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
  2. Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
December - Mother Russia
  1.  Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  2. The Secret History of Moscow - Ekaterina Sedia
Poetry and Music Bonuses
  1. Tupac - The Rose that Grew From Concrete
  2. Guante - A Love Song, A Death Rattle, A Battle Cry
  3. Edgar Allen Poe - Collected Verse
  4. Te Vaka - Havili
  5. Freida Hughes - Wooroloo

No comments:

Post a Comment